Final Class: Monday, Dec. 2, 2019
1. Freewrite: What makes you happy?
2. Reading & Response: The Class of 2000
3. Essay 4 is due via Google document share to email@example.com by Midnight on Monday, Dec. 9, 2019. We will not meet as a class.
Essay 4 Requirements:
- 1250 words
- MLA or APA style with Works Cited/References page and in-text citations
- 3 sources required
- Delayed thesis style, which means the essay has an exploratory tone and only reveals the thesis in the final paragraph (hint: get started by using a research question like, “should parents be able to buy a place at university for their underachieving children?”)
Finally, I will post on Blackboard after final grades are posted, and you will have 24 hours to get back to me on any questions. You must check your grades after I post. If you do not respond within the stated time frame, then I will not make changes to your final grade. Thanks!
Class 11: Monday, Nov. 25, 2019
1. Freewrite: Write about your most prized possession.
2. Peer Review, then Print and Turn in your Final Essay 3
3. Reading Response Article: Atlantic: The Three Personalities of America
Class 10: Monday, Nov. 18, 2019
1. Freewrite: Write about your favorite song.
2. Discuss Essay 3
3. Reading Response Article: FKA twigs
Class 8: Monday, Nov. 4, 2019
1. Freewrite for 1st 30 minutes: What kind of stress do you experience in life?
2. Peer Review Essay 2: Trade essays with at least one classmate and give positive feedback and ways to potentially improve their essay.
3. Print and turn in your final Essay 2.
4. Reading Response Article 1: New York Times: When the Student Newspaper Is the Only Newspaper in Town
5. Reading Response Article 2: New York Times: How to Give People Advice They’ll Be Delighted to Take
We will discuss Essay 3 next Monday. It will be due via email the Monday of Thanksgiving week.
Class 7: Monday, Oct. 28, 2019
Class Meeting Cancelled: Posted on BlackBoard
Assignment: Watch your favorite suspense or Halloween movie and write a 2 page essay. Email me the essay or print and bring to class on Monday, Nov. 4.
Essay 1 Updates: Bring your updated essay 1 to class on Monday, Nov. 4.
Essay 2 Peer Review and Final Due Next Monday, Nov. 4.
Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions, thanks!
Class 6: Monday, Oct. 21, 2019
- Freewrite: What do you consider art? What does art mean to you?
- Reading Response Article 1: New York Times “Fly Fishing is the New Bird-Watching”
- Review Essay 1 (student/instructor)
- Essay 2: Draft/Research/Ask Questions
Class 5: Monday, Oct. 14, 2019
- Freewrite: Write about something you are passionate about it and would like to do more, know more about, etc.
- Discuss ESSAY 2: Review Requirements
- Reading Response Article 1: New York Times “The Middle-Class Crunch”
- Reading Response Article 2: New York Times “Forged by Volcanoes“
Class 4: Monday, Oct. 7, 2019
- Freewrite: Tell me about a time you did something WRONG.
- Peer Review: 2x Partners/Make FINAL edits (CLICK HERE for Peer Review Steps & Checklist)
- Print and turn in final ESSAY 1
- Write a 1/2 page reflection on what you learned writing ESSAY 1 and what you plan to work on doing better for ESSAY 2. Turn it in and you are done for the day!
Class 2: Monday, Sept. 23, 2019
- 1st 30 Minutes: Freewriting (Prompt: Write about a recent personal experience)
- Writing discussion
- Reading & Responding 2: New York Times article
Class 1: Monday, Sept. 16, 2019
- 1st 30 Minutes: Freewriting 1 (Optional Prompt: Who Are You?)
- Review Syllabus
- Intros: 20 Questions
- Reading & Responding 1: Click Here for New York Times Article