Freewrites (Due Date/Topic):
- April 7: Is social media making us more narcissistic?
- April 14: Are you distracted by technology like your smartphone?
- April 21: What music inspires you?
- April 28: What are your TV habits?
- May 5: What purpose does writing serve in your life?
Final Essay (100 points):
For your final assignment, you will research, draft, and write a 1,200 word essay either about a career or traveling. I figured since we are all stuck at home, it might be fun to write about a potential travel spot in the near future. For those who don’t like to travel, consider researching your future career in more depth.
The final essay should be in MLA format with a Works Cited page and contain at least 1,200 words. It is due by Midnight on May 5, 2020. Please submit a Google or Word doc to both firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com to ensure that I receive it. Email me with any further questions.
- Content 70 points:
- Develop and support a thesis in an essay incorporating research
- Analyze and respond critically and creatively to the ideas and strategies in the writing of others through reading a variety of texts, including academic discourse
- Use discourse appropriate for an academic audience
- Organization 20 points:
- Apply a process approach to writing that incorporates independent research
- Applies strategies for organizing texts
- Mechanics 10 points:
- Create more advanced, independent research projects and observe the conventions of documentations and citation
- Adheres to word count requirement
“Not all those who wander are lost.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien,
“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.”
― Augustine of Hippo
“When they asked me what I wanted to be I said I didn’t know.” ― Sylvia Plath,
“No, scratch the word “career.” Careers are for people who wish to advance. I only want to survive, draw a paycheck. ”
― Emily Giffin,
Suggested Travel-Writing Reading:
- The New York Times: “In Detroit, Cheap Eats, D.I.Y. Art and the Charm of the Locals”
- The Writer: “The art of the travel essay”
- Smithsonian.com: “The Allure of Travel Writing”
- The Washington Post: “Tribal Women Attract Tourists in Thailand Amid Concerns About Exploitation”
Suggested Career-Writing Reading:
- Inc.: “3 Power Plays Millennials Can Use to Avoid an Epic Career Fail”
- Inc.: “Steve Jobs’s Early Advice to Mark Zuckerberg: Go East”
- Inc.: “9 Perfect Jobs for People Who Would Rather Travel the World”
- Forbes: “What College Kids Need To Know About Entrepreneurship…Now”
Final Reflection (100 points):
Write a one-page reflection about your class experience this semester including an explanation of what grade you think you deserve and why. It is due by Midnight on May 5, 2020. Please submit a Google or Word doc to both firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com to ensure that I receive it.
Tuesday 3/31/20: No Class, Spring Break
No in-class meeting due to school’s virus cancellation. Assignments due via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Freewrite topic: What is your strategy for researching a school project? How do you handle going to the library on your own? What do you first? Do you ask for help? What’s the overall experience like?
Items due today (3/24) by Midnight:
- Freewrite for the day
- Homework assignment from 3/10
- 2-page bio assignment
- 2-page movie analysis of “Mary Shelley”
Tuesday 3/17/20: Class Canceled by COD
In-class: Watch “Mary Shelley” movie
2-page bio assignment due via email by 3/24 (send to email@example.com)
Homework (in place of in-class freewrite): Read this article and write a 1-page analysis
Potential sources for biography:
The Biographical Element in the Novels of Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley Author(s): Walter Edwin Peck
Source: PMLA, Vol. 38, No. 1 (Mar., 1923), pp. 196-219
Published by: Modern Language Association
Access online at COD and download to your computer using the Stable URL: https://www.jstor.org/stable/457366
Freewrite (30 minutes/at least one full page): How much do you know about your family history?
Watch the documentary: Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein
2-Page Biography Assignment: In MLA format (we will discuss more in class), write a two-page biography of Mary Shelley based on information from the documentary shown in class and from at least two additional sources (may be web sources but not Wikipedia); must have Works Cited page in MLA format.